Wednesday, July 10, 2013

iBook: Pick or Pass

Hola, fellow Bibliofreak! Are you like me? Broke, with an unrelenting love of books?

     My latest hobby is bopping merrily around the iBook store in search of things that are A. Palatable, B. Hidden gems, or C. Laughably bad. Since we're all friends here, and I wouldn't want you all to waste your time wading through some of the crap that's out there, I thought I would share my findings with you. Because sharing is caring. Thus we have my new (sure to be sporadic) feature, iBook: Pick or Pass.



Leashed by Zoe Dawson
Published: September 29, 2012
Publisher: Blue Moon Creative

     This novella (26K words) is the first in a series, Gone to the Dogs. As you can probably tell, dogs are a pretty big plot point in the world Zoe Dawson writes about.

     Our heroine, Callie Lassiter, is a dog trainer who comes from a family of dog breeders, Great Danes specifically. There was a lot of information about dog breeds, dams and sires (that's probably incorrect terminology, I've already forgotten what they're actually called.) This was knowledge I didn't previously have and would probably have survived another 20 years without caring about, but it adds authenticity to the story, I suppose.

     Our love interest is Owen McKay, Callie's neighbor and...I don't really know what to say about Owen McKay. He is a wealthy club owner/bad boy/notorious womanizer who is wearing leather pants when we first meet him. LEATHER PANTS. I don't know. On the one hand, Owen is essentially a trope. A bad boy with a reputation for bedding hotties who has a heart of gold and a serious soft spot for his Aunt Mildred, but for some reason I actually kinda dug Owen, when he wasn't making with the awkward dialogue (seriously, some of the stuff that came out of these people's mouths was cringe-inducing.)

     Callie's Great Dane, Jack, knocks up Owen's Great Dane, Jill, ensuring that they will have to spend time with one another for the remainder of the book while we wait for Jill to give birth (it's called Whelping. Did you know that? I did not know that.)

     This book is super cutesy, a pretty quick read, and written well enough that it's possible to overlook the trope-y ness of it all. It also serves to introduce Callie's set of dog-loving friends who, I assume, will be the stars of other books in this series. If you're in the mood for something light and fluffy then you could do a lot worse than Leashed.

Verdict: Pick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love comments! Also coffee, Super Mario, and jelly beans but that's not relevant. If you're a new follower let me know so I can follow back.

Thanks for stopping by!